I like reading Sue Grafton's "alphabet mystery" series. I think she's gotten all the way to "W" by now...but I can't remember exactly which "letters" I've read and which I haven't. The first book I read of hers was L is for Lawless, and I remember A is for Alibi and G is for Gumshoe. I've read more than that, too, but can't remember which ones. So my last selection I made was of M is for Malice: that title just did not sound familiar at all!
As with all of these books, the main character is a woman named Kinsey Millhone, an ex-cop turned private detective, living in coastal California around some of the other "regulars" in the series. She has ongoing issues with personal relationships (an orphan from childhood, alienated from her other relatives and twice-divorced, currently going in and out of voluntary celibacy). Kinsey likes her three-mile daily runs on the beach, something about her that I can finally relate to (although I live far from the ocean). She is also proud of her self-sufficiency, but inevitably finds herself having to depend on others around her for help (also like me). I generally like Kinsey's personality, although as a private eye she can be a little tedious as she describes each new setting she finds herself in (the stories are told in the first person) with excruciatingly great detail. When I get to one of these areas in the book, my mind often takes off and wanders around a bit until I can get back to the actual story!
In M is for Malice, Kinsey is hired by a distant relative to find an heir to a fortune, and this heir has been missing for decades. The rest of the family regards him as the black sheep and judges his past severely. Sometime as the story is unraveled a murder occurs...and I quickly sniffed out the correct perpetrator out of the assortment of suspects Grafton had laid out! I knew it had to be someone presented early in the story who wasn't an obvious suspect...voila, there was the answer!
I think it would be a good project for me to just read some basic descriptions of each of Sue Grafton's Kinsey Millhone mysteries, for I'm sure I haven't read most of them and would like to know which ones. And they are good, fun reading!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment