I like lists of all kinds. Perhaps the favorite is my own personal list of favorites. To that end, I will sometimes take a break from writing and just put out a "favorites" list. And today: my rating of Led Zeppelin songs, from top to bottom.
Making a list like this is problematic, since such a list is bound to change from time to time. But for general purposes, here is my list of studio Zep recordings according to my liking (with some of the titles probably imprecise). I indicated each song's album, abbreviated in the following manner: Led Zeppelin "I" (eponymous), II, III,and "IV" (untitled) are self-evident. Houses of the Holy: HH, Physical Graffiti: PG, Presence: P, In Throught the Out Door: ITOD, and Coda: C.
Here's my list:
1 When the Levee Breaks [IV]
2 Misty Mountain Hop [IV]
3 Dazed and Confused [I]
4 Over the Hills and Far Away [HH]
5 Friends [III]
6 Going to California [IV]
7 Stairway to Heaven [IV]
8 No Quarter [HH]
9 In the Evening [ITOD]
10 Ramble On [II]
11 Bron-Yr-Aur [PG]
12 Four Sticks [IV]
13 The Crunge [HH]
14 The Song Remains the Same [HH]
15 Hey Hey What Can I Do [Box Set]
16 Your Time is Gonna Come [I]
17 Wearing and Tearing [Coda]
18 Bron-Y-Aur Stomp [III]
19 Gallows Pole [III]
20 Kashmir [PG]
21 Bring It On Home [II]
22 Poor Tom [C]
23 Dancing Days [HH]
24 Black Mountain Side [I]
25 Living Loving Maid [II]
26 Battle of Evermore [IV]
27 Candy Store Rock [P]
28 Ten Years Gone [PG]
29 The Ocean [HH]
30 Travelling Riverside Blues [Box Set]
31 Achilles' Last Stand [P]
32 How Many More Times [I]
33 Rain Song [HH]
34 Rock n' Roll [IV]
35 Black Country Woman [PG]
36 Wanton Song [PG]
37 Heartbreaker [II]
38 Hats Off to Roy Harper [III]
39 Carouselambra [ITOD]
40 Royal Orleans [P]
41 In the Light [PG]
42 Houses of the Holy [PG]
43 That's the Way [III]
44 Communication Breakdown [I]
45 South Bound Saurez [ITOD]
46 All My Love [ITOD]
47 Since I've Been Loving You [III]
48 Nobody's Fault But Mine [P]
49 Trampled Under Foot [PG]
50 D'Yer Maker [HH]
51 Immigrant Song [III]
52 Sick Again [PG]
53 I'm Gonna Crawl [ITOD]
54 Hots On for Nowhere [P]
55 Celebration Day [III]
56 What Is and What Should Never Be [II]
57 Ozone Baby [C]
58 Tea for One [P]
59 Out on the Tiles [III]
60 We're Gonna Groove [C]
61 Boogie With Stu [PG]
62 In My Time of Dying [PG]
63 Tangerine [III]
64 Custard Pie [PG]
65 Thank You [II]
66 Lemon Song [II]
67 Good Times Bad Times [I]
68 Black Dog [IV]
69 Walter's Walk [C]
70 Bonzo's Montreux [C]
71 You Shook Me [I]
72 Down By the Seaside [PG]
73 Moby Dick [II]
74 Baby Come On Home [released 1996]
75 The Rover [PG]
76 I Can't Quit You Baby [I,C]
77 Night Flight [PG]
78 Whole Lotta Love [II]
79 Babe I'm Gonna Leave You [I]
80 Fool in the Rain [ITOD]
81 For Your Life [P]
82 Darlene [C]
83 Hot Dog [ITOD] (actually much worse than #83, more like #999,999)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Wow: you put "The Crunge" at 13? I put it below "Hot Dog".
ReplyDeleteÀ chacun, son goût.
As for me, I don't think I could rank my top 20 Zep songs, or perhaps my top 30. The ones at the top of the list would likely just be whichever ones I'd listened to most recently.
"Well, there's a light in your eye that keeps shining......."
"The Crunge" was Led Zeppelin's tribute to James Brown, and I think Robert Plant captured his voice and the spirit of his work very well in this song. I remember listening to 1480/WRDW, broadcasting from Augusta, Georgia, at night in the late sixties. James Brown dominated the music on it and made a strong impression on me as a dynamic and charismatic musical artist.
ReplyDeleteActually, having earlier read how much you liked the previous track on Houses of the Holy, "Rain Song", I had thought that if you left a comment it would have been about how low I had ranked it (#33). The truth is that I also think that just about anything this great band has put out is worth listening to. Well, maybe leave out "Hot Dog" and "Darlene"!