Saturday, April 18, 2009

NBA Playoffs Approaching

We've once again arrived at that time of the year when the National Basketball Association determines its champion through the playoffs, comprising the top eight teams in each of the two conferences. My favorite team, the Phoenix Suns, narrowly missed the playoffs this year, although had they been in the Eastern Conference their regular season record would have been good enough for them to be seeded fifth out of eight teams.

So I'm left with picking out other teams to root for. In the East, I have four favorites: the Florida teams Orlando Magic and Miami Heat (their lousy "conceptual" nicknames notwithstanding), the Atlanta Hawks (with former UF Gator Al Horford), and the Chicago Bulls (with former UF Gator Joakim Noah). In the West, I like the Houston Rockets (with Yao Ming and Ron Artest) and the Utah Jazz. I think Jazz guard Deron Williams is one of the great clutch players in the game. If those two go down in the playoffs, I'll probably end up rooting for the aging San Antonio Spurs to try to get one more great playoff season in.

All of my playoff preferences notwithstanding, I expect the NBA final championship series to be between either the Boston Celtics or the Cleveland Cavaliers in the East and the Los Angeles Lakers in the West. With the incredibly talented Kobe Bryant leading his Lakers to the championship.

On a side note, although I'm not specifically rooting for either of them, I plan to watch a little of two teams in the playoffs: the Detroit Pistons and the Denver Nuggets. Why? Because they feature players who tend to whine and complain a lot at the officials (and draw technical fouls). Especially when they're losing. I get a perverse pleasure watching the clownish act these crybabies put on!

1 comment:

  1. It looks like it just might be the Cavs/Lakers final. Or at least that is what is stated on paper.

    Unless the likes of Magic/Celtic might have a say in the East. I'm not too sure about the West. But lets hope for something unexpected to happen.

    Overall the 2009 season is expected to be the most exciting ever in recent years and I can't wait for it to began. For me personally as an Albiceleste supporter, things are not looking good but we'll just have to wait and see.

    Oh yes! I've also published my own version (not really mine but a friend name Dave from the NBA Round Table) and would like you to give us your view as well .

    ReplyDelete